The internet is something that is used by people all around the world on a daily basis. We go online for many different purposes, such as entertainment, shopping, research, work, socialising, and much more. However, it is important to bear in mind that a lot of the activities that you engage in online can be easily tracked, which means that you are compromising your privacy. When it comes to controlling your privacy and the sensitive information that you enter online, such as bank details, it is important to be aware of how you can better control your privacy.
There are various ways in which you can control and protect your privacy when you are online. This is something that is particularly important for those who share a computer, as otherwise browsing history can be quickly discovered by other users and if you save account and password information they can even get into websites and access your personal information.
Why is online privacy a concern?
Many people and businesses are concerned about online privacy these days, as it can be so easily compromised. Even the government have exploited loopholes in terms of online privacy for reasons such as surveillance, location tracking, monitoring, identification, and more. However, it is not just the government that is a concern.
Some people do not want friends, family members, or those sharing a computer to know about their online activities but these days this information can be easily obtained by others. However, if you make use of privacy settings, features, and solutions, you can better protect yourself against this type of issue. For some people, the concern relates to the risk of employers finding out which sites they have been visiting and when. Again, using privacy features and settings can help to reduce this type of risk.
Of course, another major concern is that your information may fall into the wrong hands. Cyber-crime has become a big issue over recent years, and if a cyber-criminal does manage to get hold of your personal and financial information you could find yourself facing huge problems.
Fortunately, there are ways and means of protecting your privacy and your online activities. There are various solutions that you can turn to and by using a combination of these you can significantly increase the level of protection and privacy you have when you are online.
Tips to control and protect privacy on the internet
There are a number of tips that can help you to protect and enhance your privacy when you are online. Following these will help to reduce the chances of your activities being tracked and can also provide protection against others accessing sensitive and financial information relating to you. Some of the tips you should familiarise yourself with include:
- Choose the right web browser: The web browser that you use to surf the internet can make a big difference to your privacy levels. Some browsers are far more focused on privacy than others, so if privacy when you go online is a big issue for you it is well worth looking at which browser will be best suited to your needs. For instance, with the Tor browser you can remain anonymous when you are using the internet as long as the sites that you are going on to are secure https sites. Another option is the Opera browser, as this does not collect information and usage habits on mass from users like browsers such as Chrome and Firefox do.
- Don’t save account details and passwords: Many people tend to save account details and passwords for sites such as eBay, Amazon, PayPal, and a wide range of other sites. However, if you use a shared computer this can be dangerous, as it means that others can easily access these accounts as well as your financial information. Even if you do not use a shared computer you need to bear in mind how easily cyber-criminals can hack into your system. With this in mind you should avoid saving details such as these on your system and just enter them each time you need to get onto the site.
- Use settings and features provided: With all major browsers, you will be able to access settings and features to enhance your privacy. This includes the ability to clear your browser history, turn off tracking, and use incognito mode. Make sure you familiarise yourself with the privacy options available with the browser that you are using so that you can make the most of the features that they offer and further boost your online privacy.
- Use add-ons and cleaners: Another convenient means of boosting your online privacy is to use add-ons for the browser that you are using. You will find that major browsers offer a range of add-ons that you can use and some of these relate to increasing your privacy levels. You can also consider using a privacy cleaner like the East-tec Eraser. These are designed to provide an easy and convenient means of deleting your internet activities.
- Make sure you have protection: One way in which your online privacy may be compromised is through viruses and malware. These can also cause a range of other issues, so it is important to make sure you have appropriate protection in place. Make use of anti-virus software – you can get many free versions that will be perfectly adequate for home computers and these will provide greater security and peace of mind.
- Remember your webcam: Your privacy can even be compromised via the webcam on your computer. Experts have stated that it is surprisingly easy for someone who knows what they are doing to take over the webcam and secretly film footage of you. Therefore, it is worth putting a sticker over the webcam when you are not using it to stop this from happening.
These are all effective and simple methods that can help to boost your online privacy with speed, ease and convenience.