Google is a name that is known all around the world and is used on a daily basis for business and personal use. This search engine giant dominates the world of the Internet and the words ‘Google it’ has become commonplace amongst people who need to find something out. There is no doubt that Google has made life far easier for businesses, consumers, shoppers, those looking for entertainment, those looking for information, researchers, and more. However, did you realize that there are various Google features that many people do not know about? Google provides you with the ability to do far more than just get information, shop, and browse websites.
Some key features that you could find useful
If you want to make the most of Google, there are various features that you can use. These features are not highly publicized, which is why many people do not even know they exist. Some of the ones that you may not know about include:
- The ability to find cheap flights: Most people are aware of the various different travel sites that you can go to on the internet in order to try and find cheap flights, hotels, and travel deals. This includes sites such as Lastminute.com and Expedia amongst others. However, Google also offers its own tool for finding cheap flights – Google Flight Search. Here you can view information from a variety of airlines and travel sites under one virtual roof to help you find the best deal in the least amount of time.
- Language translation: Overcoming language barriers can be frustrating and difficult. However, Google offers its translation tool to make light work of this. In order to translate text from one language to another, all you have to do is type of Google translate in the search box. You will then be shown two boxes, one for the original text and one where the translated text will appear. It is extremely easy to use and makes it simple to translate text from many different languages.
- Explore the stars: Google Earth has become a huge hit over recent years but you can now go beyond exploring the earth and find out more about space. With Google Sky, you can view images from satellites, telescopes and probes, which means that you can take a closer look at different planets, stars, and galaxies. This is a tool that is both fascinating and educational – it is perfect to keep the kids entertained as well as for those who have an interest in space.
- Track your time: Using stopwatches, alarms, and other clock features is commonplace amongst those that need to track time and stay on schedule. However, you can also do this via Google, which provides increased convenience and ease. In order to use this, all you need to do is type into the search bar ‘set a timer for X minutes’. Google will then automatically bring up the timer and start the countdown – simple.
- Coin flipping: We’ve all heard of flipping a coin in order to make a decision based on whether it lands on heads or tails. Well, with Google you don’t even need to have a real coin to flip. All you need to do is type heads or tails into the search bar and Google will bring up a virtual coin to flip.
- Take a virtual flight on Google Earth: Explore Earth from a new perspective by taking a virtual flight on Google Earth. All you need to do is download Google Earth and then press ALT, CTRL and A. You can then enjoy a unique experience in the form of a simulated flight via Google Earth, enabling you to explore new places on our planet without even having to leave your home.
- Find out where you parked: Many of us will know the frustration of forgetting where the car is parked. When you return to a busy crowded car park the last thing you want is to spend loads of time wandering around trying to find your vehicle. However, the Google app can help you to locate your vehicle. You simply need to set driving as your main method of transportation and you can make customized changes so that Google knows when to show you parking location cards.
- Incognito setting: If you are using Google Chrome and you want to enhance your privacy, you can use the Incognito setting on Google. This will enable you to visit sites without the pages you view going onto your browsing history. This is ideal for those who have a shared computer and want to keep their browsing private from other users.
- Play Pacman: If you want to take a little time out and enjoy a break, you can enjoy a fun game of Pacman courtesy of Google. This 1980s favorite can be played in an instant simply by typing ‘play Pacman’ into the search bar. You can then start enjoying this retro game right away rather than going in and out of different sites to try and find games to play.
- Calculate your tips: If you go out for a meal with friends, you don’t want to have to spend time trying to work out who owes what towards the tip at the end of the evening. Using the Google app, you can work out the tip with ease simply by entering the amount of the bill and the percentage that you want to pay as a tip. You also enter the number of people who will be paying towards the bill in order to find out how much each person needs to pay towards the overall tip.
These are just some of the many features that Google provides access to. As you can see, Google is far more than just a search engine – this is a multi-functional resource that can provide you with access to a huge variety of tools as well as information and entertainment.